Guide to Voting
1. Voter registration
Deadline to Register/update: October 5, 2020
Online Link to Application: https://elect.ky.gov/Resources/Pages/Registration.aspx
2. Check Your registration
Why check your registration? Your address is where election officials send notices, application forms to receive your ballot in the mail, and more. Additionally, poll workers will check if the address on your voter registration matches the address on your ID at the polls.
Check and Update Registration Here: https://vrsws.sos.ky.gov/ovrweb/
- Is your name spelled correctly? (Correct hyphenations, middle initials, etc)
- Correct Address
- Active Voter Status (if not update by sending in another online/mail voter application)
- Correct Date of Birth
- Correct Political Party preference
3. Order your mail ballot
Deadline for advance mail ballot application: Must be received by October 27, 2020
We recommend requesting your advance mail ballot as soon as possible and well in advance of this deadline in order to ensure that you receive your ballot in time.
Request Mail-In Ballot Here: https://vrsws.sos.ky.gov/ovrweb/govoteky
Filled out Mail ballots can be dropped off at secure drop-off boxes located at county polling locations. That option presumes the voters brings their ballot to their correct local precinct, which have been relocated in the pandemic.
Poll locations can be checked here:
Deadline to return absentee mail Ballot: no later than november 3, 2020 6Pm
Surrendering Your Absentee Ballot:
Kentucky does not have the Surrender Rule. If you bring your absentee ballot to surrender at the polling place on Election Day, they will still make you vote with a provisional ballot.
4. Early voting information
- Currently Kentucky does not permit early voting or no-excuse absentee voting with some exceptions. To see if you meet the criteria to vote early visit:
- For questions regarding polling place locations contact your county clerk. To find your county clerks contact information visit:
For More information contact the State Board of Elections by phone 502.573.7100 or 1.800.246.1399 and online at https://elect.ky.gov/.
5. Be a poll worker
- Become a poll worker! Election offices are expecting shortages in poll workers due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Poll workers must be 18 years old or over, and a registered voter in their county