Guide to Voting
1. Voter registration
Deadline to Register/update:
– BY MAIL or IN PERSON: October 6, 2020
– ONLINE: October 29, 2020
Online Link to Application: https://www.nvsos.gov/SOSVoterServices/start.aspx
2. Check Your registration
Why check your registration? Your address is where election officials send notices, application forms to receive your ballot in the mail, and more. Additionally, poll workers will check if the address on your voter registration matches the address on your ID at the polls.
Check and Update Registration Here: https://www.nvsos.gov/
- Is your name spelled correctly? (Correct hyphenations, middle initials, etc)
- Correct Address
- Active Voter Status (if not update by sending in another online/mail voter application)
- Correct Date of Birth
- Correct Political Party preference
3. Order your mail ballot
Deadline for absentee mail ballot application: Must be received by October 20, 2020
We recommend requesting your advance mail ballot as soon as possible and well in advance of this deadline in order to ensure that you receive your ballot in time.
Request Mail-In Ballot Here: https://www.nvsos.gov/sos/elections/voters/absentee-voting
deadline to Return absentee mail ballot:
– IN PERSON DROP OFF: November 3, 2020 7pm
– BY MAIL: Must be postmarked no later than November 3rd and received by November 10, 2020
Contact your County clerk to find out drop off locations in your county: https://www.nvsos.gov/sos/elections/voters/county-clerk-contact-information
Surrendering Your Absentee Ballot:
Nevada does have a version of the surrender rule. If a voter does surrender their mail-in ballot, they will be allowed to vote in-person with a regular ballot. (In the future, that voter will have to re-apply for permanent mail/absentee ballot as a consequence.) If a voter does not have their mail ballot on them, they will be still allowed to vote, but they will have to vote provisionally.
Voting In-Person Instead of by Mail
If you requested a Mail/Absentee Ballot, you still have the option of voting on an electronic voting machine at an early voting site or Election Day Vote Center.
You will need to do one of the following when you vote in-person instead of by mail:
- If You Have Your Mail Ballot:
- Surrender your voted or unvoted mail/absentee ballot (preferably in the packet sent to you) to an election official at the voting site. The official will ask you for identification before processing you to vote.
- If You Do Not Have Your Mail Ballot:
- You will sign an affirmation at the voting site swearing that you have not already voted in the current election and that you understand no one may to attempt to vote or actually vote more than once in the same election. An election official will verify your affirmation against Election Department records.
4. Early voting information
- Early voting is available From the third Saturday prior to Election Day through the Friday before Election Day. October 17, 2020 through October 30, 2020.
- County clerks must establish at least one poll place in their county. The poll place must be open for at least 8 hours a day during weekdays, and for at least 4 hours on any Saturday. The clerk has discretion to provide for early voting on Sundays. The clerk may also establish temporary poll sites as well. A contact list for county clerks and voter registrars is available here: https://www.nvsos.gov/sos/elections/voters/county-clerk-contact-information
- For more information regarding federal, state and local elections contact your state election official online: https://www.nvsos.gov/sos/elections/voters/early-voting-information or contact Nevada Secretary of State, Barbara K. Cegavske by phone: 775.684.5708 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
5. Be a poll worker
- Become a poll worker! Election offices are expecting shortages in poll workers due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Poll workers must be 16 years old or over, and a registered voter (if 18 or older) in their county
Contact your County Clerk for information on how to sign up: https://www.nvsos.gov/sos/elections/voters/county-clerk-contact-information
6. Additional Questions?