Guide to Voting
1. Voter registration
Deadline to Register/update: OCTOBER 13, 2020
Link to Application: https://www.nj.gov/state/elections/voter-registration.shtml
2. Check Your registration
Why check your registration? Your address is where election officials send notices, application forms to receive your ballot in the mail, and more. Additionally, poll workers will check if the address on your voter registration matches the address on your ID at the polls.
Check and Update Here: https://voter.svrs.nj.gov/registration-check
- Is your name spelled correctly? (Correct hyphenations, middle initials, etc)
- Correct Address
- Active Voter Status (if not update by sending in another online/mail voter application)
- Correct Date of Birth
- Correct Political Party preference
3. Order your mail ballot
Deadline for advance mail ballot application:
By Mail: Must be received by October 27, 2020
In person: Must be received by november 2nd, 2020
We recommend requesting your advance mail ballot as soon as possible and well in advance of this deadline in order to ensure that you receive your ballot in time.
Request Mail-In Ballot Here: https://www.nj.gov/state/elections/vote-by-mail.shtml
Mail Ballot Drop Box Location:
Deadline to return absentee mail Ballot:
November 3, 2020 8pm
Surrendering Your Absentee Ballot:
New Jersey does not have the Surrender Rule. If you are signed up for a mail-in ballot in New Jersey, the poll book has a notation indicating that status. If a voter shows up to vote in-person on Election Day and they are signed up for mail-in ballot voting, they will be forced to vote with a provisional ballot. No exceptions.
You MUST Vote by Provisional Ballot if:
You are a registered voter in the County who moved within the County and did not notify the County Commissioner of Registration before Election Day of your current address; or
- Your registration information is not complete in the poll book, for example your signature or address is missing; or
- You are an Active Need ID voter who has not provided identification information; or
- There is a marking in the poll book that you applied for a mail-in ballot, but you tell the board worker:
- you did not apply for one; or
- you applied for a mail in ballot, but did not receive it; or
- you received it, but did not return it.
4. Early voting information
- In-person early voting is not available.
- Early voting with an absentee ballot is available 45 days prior to Election Day until 3:00PM on the day before Election Day.
- Voters must cast in-person absentee ballots at the office of the county clerk and bring a photo ID. For information on polling place locations, acceptable forms of identification and other voter questions visit: https://www.state.nj.us/state/elections/vote-polling-location.shtml
- For Voter updates relating to Covid-19 visit the New Jersey Division of Elections website: https://www.state.nj.us/state/elections/covid-19-resources.shtml
For more information regarding federal, state and local elections contact your state election official online:https://www.state.nj.us/state/index.shtml or contact the office of New Jersey Secretary of State, Tahesha Way 609.777.2581.
5. Be a poll worker
- Become a poll worker! Election offices are expecting shortages in poll workers due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Poll workers must be 16 years old or over, and a registered voter (if 18 or older) in their county
Sign Up Here: https://nj.gov/state/elections/county-information.shtml
6. Additional Questions?