Guide to Voting
1. Voter registration
north dakota does not have voter registration. bring a valid id to your polling location
Valid ID Requirements: https://vip.sos.nd.gov/idrequirements.aspx
2. Check Your registration
Why check your registration? Your address is where election officials send notices, application forms to receive your ballot in the mail, and more. Additionally, poll workers will check if the address on your voter registration matches the address on your ID at the polls.
Update Information Here: http://www.dot.nd.gov/divisions/driverslicense/addnamechange.htm
- Is your name spelled correctly? (Correct hyphenations, middle initials, etc)
- Correct Address
- Correct Date of Birth
3. Order your mail ballot
Deadline for advance mail ballot application: november 2
We recommend requesting your advance mail ballot as soon as possible and well in advance of this deadline in order to ensure that you receive your ballot in time.
Request Mail-In Ballot Here:
Track Absentee Mail Ballot Status:
Deadline to return absentee mail Ballot: November 3
4. Early voting information
- Early voting varies by localities. Early voting is available 15 days prior to Election Day until the day before Election Day. October 19, 2020. For more information visit: https://vip.sos.nd.gov/civics101.aspx?ptlhPKID=126&ptlPKID=7
- The board of county commissioners may create an early voting precinct prior to an election. That precinct can have more than one polling place. The county auditor has discretion to designate the business days and times during which early voting will be available at those poll sites.
- For more information regarding federal, state and local elections contact your local election official.To find contact information for your local official visit: https://vip.sos.nd.gov/CountyAuditors.aspx?ptlhPKID=34&ptlPKID=5
5. Be a poll worker
- Become a poll worker! Election offices are expecting shortages in poll workers due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Poll workers must be 16 years old or over, and a registered voter (if 18 or older) in their county
To Sign up, visit your county website or contact your county election official: https://vip.sos.nd.gov/CountyAuditors.aspx
6. Additional Questions?