Guide to Voting
1. Voter registration
Deadline to Register/update: OCTOBER 19, 2020
Link to Application: https://sdsos.gov/elections-voting/voting/register-to-vote/default.aspx
2. Check Your registration
Why check your registration? Your address is where election officials send notices, application forms to receive your ballot in the mail, and more. Additionally, poll workers will check if the address on your voter registration matches the address on your ID at the polls.
Check Voter Registration Here: https://vip.sdsos.gov/VIPLogin.aspx
Update Registration Here: https://sdsos.gov/elections-voting/voting/register-to-vote/default.aspx
- Is your name spelled correctly? (Correct hyphenations, middle initials, etc)
- Correct Address
- Active Voter Status (if not update by sending in another online/mail voter application)
- Correct Date of Birth
- Correct Political Party preference
3. Order your mail ballot
Deadline for absentee mail ballot application: Must be received by november 2, 2020 5pm
We recommend requesting your advance mail ballot as soon as possible and well in advance of this deadline in order to ensure that you receive your ballot in time.
Request Mail-In Ballot Here: https://sdsos.gov/elections-voting/voting/absentee-voting.aspx
Track your Mail Ballot Status Here: https://vip.sdsos.gov/VIPLogin.aspx
Deadline to return absentee mail Ballot:
received by november 3, 2020 8pm
4. Early voting information
- Early voting is not available. However, in-person Absentee voting is available as soon as absentee ballots are available, 45 days prior to Election Day, and until the day before Election Day. Sep 18, 2020 – Nov 2, 2020.
- Voters can apply for an absentee ballot in person and cast that ballot at the local election office, during regular office hours.
- For more information regarding federal, state and local elections contact your state election official online:https://sdsos.gov/elections-voting/voting/ or call South Dakota Secretary of State, Steve Barnett 605.773.3537.
5. Be a poll worker
- Become a poll worker! Election offices are expecting shortages in poll workers due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Poll workers must be 18 years old or over, and a registered voter in their county
- To sign up, contact your local county Election Official: https://www.overseasvotefoundation.org/vote/election-official-directory
6. Additional Questions?