Guide to Voting
1. Voter registration
Deadline to Register/update: OCTOBER 5, 2020
Link to Application: https://sos.tn.gov/products/elections/register-vote
2. Check Your registration
Why check your registration? Your address is where election officials send notices, application forms to receive your ballot in the mail, and more. Additionally, poll workers will check if the address on your voter registration matches the address on your ID at the polls.
Check and Update Voter Registration Here:
- Is your name spelled correctly? (Correct hyphenations, middle initials, etc)
- Correct Address
- Active Voter Status (if not update by sending in another online/mail voter application)
- Correct Date of Birth
- Correct Political Party preference
3. Order your mail ballot
Deadline for absentee mail ballot application: Must be received by October 27, 2020
Request Mail-In Ballot Here:
***Tennessee does not allow you to hand deliver your ballot. You must mail your ballot in time for your county election commission to receive it no later than November 3rd.
Deadline to return absentee mail Ballot:
received by november 3, 2020
4. Early voting information
- Early voting in the federal election begins Oct 14, 2020 – Oct 29, 2020.
- The county election commission will determine whether to provide early voting at the election commission office or at another polling place, and will determine the number of hours that the location will be available, except that the office must be open for at least three consecutive hours between 8:00AM and 6:00PM on weekdays and Saturdays.
- To find the contact information of your county election commission visit: https://tnsos.org/elections/election_commissions.php
- For more information regarding federal, state and local elections contact your state election official online: https://sos.tn.gov or contact Tennessee Secretary of State, Tre Hargett by 615.741.2819 or email: Tre.Hargett@tn.gov
5. Be a poll worker
- Become a poll worker! Election offices are expecting shortages in poll workers due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Poll workers must be 16 years old or over, and a registered voter (if 18 or older) in their county
6. Additional Questions?