Guide to Voting
1. Voter registration
Deadline to Register/update: OCTOBER 13, 2020
Link to Application: https://ovr.sos.wv.gov/Register/Landing
2. Check Your registration
Why check your registration? Your address is where election officials send notices, application forms to receive your ballot in the mail, and more. Additionally, poll workers will check if the address on your voter registration matches the address on your ID at the polls.
Check Voter Registration Here:
Update Registration Here:
- Is your name spelled correctly? (Correct hyphenations, middle initials, etc)
- Correct Address
- Active Voter Status (if not update by sending in another online/mail voter application)
- Correct Date of Birth
- Correct Political Party preference
3. Order your mail ballot
Deadline for absentee mail ballot application: Must be received by October 28, 2020
Request Mail-In Ballot Here: https://sos.wv.gov/elections/Pages/AbsenteeApplication.aspx
Track your Mail Ballot Here: https://services.sos.wv.gov/Elections/Voter/AbsenteeBallotTracking
Deadline to return absentee mail Ballot:
receieved and postmarked by november 3, 2020 or hand delivered by november 2nd
*You may also hand deliver your mail ballot to the County Clerk’s office by the day before election Day.
4. Early voting information
- Early voting is available 13 days prior to Election Day until 3 days prior to Election Day at your county courthouse or judicial annex; October 21- October 31, 2020. Please contact your County Clerk to confirm Early Voting hours and locations. West Virginia county clerk directory can be found here: https://sos.wv.gov/elections/Pages/CountyClerkDirectory.aspx
- The county commission must designate a court hour or annex to the courthouse as an in-person early voting poll site. The commission may also designate additional community voting locations.
- Early voting is conducted during regular business hours, and from 9:00AM to 5:00PM on Saturdays.
- For more information regarding federal, state and local elections contact your state election official online: https://sos.wv.gov/elections/ or call West Virginia Secretary of State, Mac Warner by email: Elections@wvsos.com or phone: toll free 866.767.8683.
5. Be a poll worker
- Become a poll worker! Election offices are expecting shortages in poll workers due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Poll workers must be 16 years old or over, and a registered voter (if 18 or older) in their county
6. Additional Questions?